Friday, October 19, 2007

Most Stupid Mistakes While Losing Weight

Personal responsibility is always necessary in business as well as when we are taking the big step to lose weight. So I am going to give you my 6 Biggest and Most Stupid Mistakes we make with weight loss!!

Mistake #1: Say you are… Going on a Diet! Good grief diets don't work because they slow your metabolism down to a snail's pace. The best way to lose weight is to feed your body, not starve it. Helping to speed your metabolism while feeding your body the food and nutrients it needs. Find out your clock for eating. Work on a new eating plan for healthy living. If you must snack…do so wisely with the right kind of food. Don’t eat junk!

Mistake #2: Eating "Low Fat." If you eat anything purchased that says low fat…you can bet it means high sugar. If you don’t get the healthy fats in your eating the results can be a super-slow metabolism, unhealthy skin and hair, depression, and reduced fat burning. To optimize weight loss, eat a cold-water fish like salmon. And increase your protein intake in other ways.

Mistake #3: Speaking of Protein…Eating Too Little Protein! Most people's diets are comprised mostly of carbs such as fruit, vegetables, breads, grains, cereals, pasta, etc. These foods are important... but you must not neglect your protein intake! Protein is important to help you build up lean muscle tissue, which in turn will help you burn away more body fat! While you are losing increase your protein as it takes the body longer for it to process and you don’t get as hungry between meals.

Mistake #4: Not Getting Enough Sleep: To lose weight, you NEED to get at least 7 hours of sleep per night... and preferably 8 to 9 hours. Why? Because, any fewer than 7 hours of sleep will cause your levels of cortical to shoot off the charts. Cortisol is your body's "stress hormone." It actually causes you to GAIN FAT! Getting more sleep will cause your cortisol levels to stay low and steady. Personally I tried this several times during my 170 lb loss. It is so true. When I had a few extra pounds to wanted to get off…I would go to bed earlier. YES EARLIER! When it is your body and it is becoming a new slimmer body don’t you want to treat it different? Because the old way of treating it was one of the reasons you were FAT!!

Mistake #5: Thinking Self-Destructive Thoughts. If you are constantly thinking thoughts of "I just cannot lose weight no matter what I do," you will make that a self-fulfilling prophesy. Stop the pity party! The old statement…you are what you think…couldn’t be more true! Get rid of that little devil that sits on your shoulder that is telling you all the bad things. When the bad ideas creep into your head, flick that little devil off your shoulder. Then learn new attitudes! The Law of Attraction states that you bring into your life what you constantly think about. The power of positive thinking and new ways are almost magical. You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll lose weight when you keep your mind focused on your health and learning new ways to handle life.

Mistake #6: One Bad Meal Destroys the Eating Plan: Good grief, one bad meal or one bad thing will not destroy your new eating plan. I can’t tell you how many people will go along just fine for weeks and weeks then just have to have a candy bar (280 calories). Then say oh well, I guess I can’t keep eating like I should, I will just give up. Believe me they wanted to give up, because it is taking them out of their comfort zone. As long as the bad item or the bad meal doesn’t become a habit, say more than once a month, your new eating plan will survive! Just get back up on the “bike” and start peddling again!

As your weight drops and your metabolism changes (and it does change!) many or those cravings for candy and potato chips will almost go away. To say once or twice a year. I know my candy craving has disappeared to the point when I do allow some during the holidays, I find I am really not as interested. Now that is a real “trip” for any fat person or recovering obese person to go through!

Amazingly Yours
Dr. Marlene

You can learn more about my weight loss of 170 lbs. and the mental methods that I used in my book: The Thinking Side to Thin: available at Amazon or under links to my sites.

No comments: