Friday, October 5, 2007

Taking Control of One’s Life

On the show on Wednesday (10/3/07) I talked with an organizer (Regina Leeds) about what it meant to a person when they organized parts of their living space. She said that when you organize you are taking control. That got me to thinking about taking control of other parts of our own lives.

When I wrote “The Thinking Side to Thin” one of the themes throughout the book is taking control back from being overweight. Understanding what we put in our mouths and what is the affect on our bodies. Supplements are a great place to start.

Supplements today in the US are I think a trillion dollar business. (Give or take a billion) But how many of us really understand what those supplements do to each of us and how they react to other medication that we take.

At one point on my road to losing the 170 pounds I though since I was not eating the huge amounts that I use to eat, I would need supplements to help keep me active and energized. Was I wrong! When I increased my supplements my weight loss came to a screeching halt! My body said “Oh good you are giving me what I need, why should I go get it from the stored fat!” So I had to become a detective and started investigating about every supplement I took.

We have a lifetime of information available to us (both good and bad) on the internet today. But with diligence we can weed out the bad. What did I discover? Many of the supplements I had been taking were completely unnecessary. And with others, I found out that taking them together made them useless. At another time I had a bad reaction to two supplements that I was taking. In my body, taken together, I GAINED WEIGHT…not the outcome that I wanted at the time.

As I say in “The Thinking Side to Thin”, I became a walking experiment. I worked at finding out what was the best possible combination for my body. I TOOK CONTROL! Then my outcome was what I wanted. My weight loss was much easier and I had the energy and I was more active than ever.

Taking control is very empowering. The control radiates out to other parts of your life. This type is not control of arrogance, but the real control and the feeling that you understand what is going on. An internal confidence, that radiates to others. You can get the book on one of my favorite links on this page.

Again today I want to thank all my radio listeners that have made my show Amazing Women, brains, beauty & style the #1 show, after only 8 weeks, on Voice America Women.

Amazingly Yours,
Dr. Marlene

No comments: