Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Weight Loss/Gain and Personal Responsible

I was at lunch recently when the desert tray was offered. My guest could not believe that I turned down anything on the tray. First after the meal that I just ate, my body was telling me that desert was NOT an option. Second, I have had to make choices in my life to stay at the weight I am.

I have had people tell me that I am strong when it comes to food. ARE THEY KIDDING???? I can hear a taco or a bag of potato chips call to me all the way across town. Oh yes I would love to dive into the biggest bag of chips that I could find and just eat that for each meal till the bag is gone. But I don’t!!! Why?

Personal choice…a choice to be normal weight instead of being obese! Yes I use the word obese. Because the difference between normal weight and obese is partially choice.

Now the reason that I say partially is that we train the body to accept the amount of food that we eat. If we keep training the body to accept more and more and more food we are training the body to be obese. The body will begin to expect more food. In doing so, the body will make room for that extra food. More skin, more storage cells, more veins and arteries. What happens when the body is working like it should…it becomes obese.

The body is a machine. Living but working like a machine. The only part of the body that we have any control over is our brain and our thinking process. But there are two processes in the brain. Our own thinking part; then there is the part of the brain that handles all the processes that we have no control over. Functions that are automatic. Now you are beginning to see what happens. When you give the body more food…the body just builds MORE BODY!

Yikes what a process. That is how people get to be 250, 400, 1200 or even 308 lbs. I read the food intake of a man whose body had grown to 1200 lbs. Breakfast started out with 1 dozen donuts…then went on to 6 eggs and on and on. Trust me this man would not eating 1 piece of whole wheat toast for breakfast. No matter what the media might say. This guy made a choice to be as big as he was. Weather it was a psychological reason or just laziness; he made the choice to eat.

I made the same choices when I was morbidly obese. Such as: eating a huge sandwich for breakfast, never listening to my body that enough was enough at less than half way through. Now with practice, I made different choices. I have learned to listen to my body and my body has trained me very well and rewarded me with considerable weight loss. I will go into more of this next time.

Amazingly Yours,
Dr. Marlene

You can learn how I got to 308 lbs. and what I did to get back down in my book The Thinking Side to Thin. Available on Amazon and on my book website the link is at the side of the page.

No comments: