Thursday, October 25, 2007

Training Teens and Eating Right

One of the comments that I get when it comes to my weight loss is “You have such will power; I’ll bet you never eat anything bad and never eat in a fast food restaurant”. Yeah, right, sure…NOT!

During the entire time that I lost the weight, I had fast food. Mexican, hamburgers, even hot dogs (which are the worst) and pizza, I still ate. The difference, I didn’t make it a habit and I was very careful in what I choose.

Teens on the other hand practically live in these places. Or should I say, they drive through them often. Dashboard dining is very common amount those teens with drivers licenses.
What can you teach a teen to; either lose weight or keep it in check, when all the choices of food are spread out on a wall in full color pictures looking enticing and delicious, perfect to eat? Then there are their peers…what can you do?

Let’s take the peer problem first. The age of the child has a lot to do with what is said. As I tell them, if you are losing weight or trying to stay healthy the easiest way to explain the difference in eating habits is one of two ways.

The first is you have discovered that you are allergic to what you are cutting out of your eating. Flour, sugar, bad fat, those items make a huge difference. If peers say they have never seen you with a runny nose, the answer is, this allergy hits me inside. Enough said then drop the subject.

The second is a little harder to pull off. That a coach suggested this is a better way to eat for the child’s or teens build.

Here is what I teach the teens. Within a few weeks to months the body will start to change. They will look better and have a lot more energy. With the right changes they will have more alertness and not be so tired. They will be changing their system to be more efficient. And in some teens, their skin might start to clear up. Wow what a benefit that will be.

They are right in the middle of raging hormones. The body is going through many changes at once. Taking a few of the problems away from the body makes the hormone changes easier on the system.

This is an easy ‘sale’ to teens; they may call you crazy at first, but challenge them to try it. It is easier than they think.

Friday I will discuss what to look for and choices at fast food, or eating away from home. They will be surprised that quantity may not have to change.

Amazingly Yours,
Dr. Marlene

You can learn some of the secrets for teens and about my weight loss of 170 lbs. and the mental methods that I used in my book: The Thinking Side to Thin: available on Amazon or under links to my other sites.

No comments: